Step one of the Journey – the first Stone
Zechariah 4:10 “For who has despised the day of small things? But these seven will be glad when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel -these are the eyes of the LORD which range to and fro throughout the earth.”
In November 2013 UnitedCry was birthed from a simple dinner conversation at Johnny Carinos. Rachel, Gary and I met for lunch with missionary friends, who had just returned to the states from Europe. As our conversation centered on the cultural and spiritual changes that had taken place during the five years they had been overseas, a question was posed. Gary Benjamin asked, “What is the big dream, the seemingly impossible dream, that God has placed on your heart?” From that simple question, Lewis shared how he was burdened to see pastors gather in Washington DC to repent, unify, pray, and engage culture before the next election. He shared how he tried to get leaders he knew to gather before 2012, but for whatever reason it did not happen. As Gary asked, “ What if God is asking you to do it? Why don’t you do it?”, all the impossibilities of that dream for a moment faded as supernatural faith enveloped us. As we left that restaurant that day, we began to pursue confirmation of the dream.
All the impossibilities of budget, location, contacts, and logistics loomed largely in our minds: “Who were we to attempt this?’ “How would we attempt this?” “Where would the finances come from?” — All these questions reverberated in our minds, but in the midst of all this, a voice loomed larger in our hearts: scripture after scripture began to cement the faith to attempt this.
• Joel 2: 16 – 17 “ Blow the trumpet in Zion, declare a holy fast, call a sacred assembly. Gather the people, consecrate the assembly; bring together the elders,. . .Let the priests, who minister before the LORD weep between the portico and the altar. Let them say, “Spare your people, LORD. Do not make your inheritance an object of scorn, a byword among the nations. Why should they say among the peoples Where is their God?’
• Luke 18:27 “What is impossible with man is possible with God.” • Deuteronomy 31: 6 “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
• Joshua 1:9 “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
• Isaiah 41:10 “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
• Isaiah 43:109 “See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.”
All these scriptures, as well as confirming words, dreams, and affirmations from various sources caused faith to arise, so that within a week’s time, we promised the Lord: “ If this of you, we will be faithful to see this dream through. You have promised to make a way where there seems to be no way and we will trust in you.” Thus from a conversation at a restaurant and a prayer prayed in a car, and the remembrance of many words, dreams, and promises spoken, United Cry DC16 began.